Self-employed people are more satisfied with their job than employees
Statbel, the Belgian statistical office, publishes today the results from a set of questions that were added in 2017 to the Labour Force Survey. A number of questions were specifically addressed to self-employed people..
The main results are the following:
- 93.6 % of the working population say they are satisfied to a large extent (49.9 %) or to some extent (43.7 %) with their job. The satisfaction of self-employed people is somewhat more pronounced: 94.5 % are satisfied to a large extent or satisfied.
- 88 % of self-employed people say that they do not want to work as employees. Conversely, 92.5 % of the employees say that they do not want to work as self-employed.
- Only 1.5 % of the self-employed are economically dependent. These self-employed people work without employees and largely depend on one client for their income and for the organisation of their work.
- 27.6% are self-employed because it is the usual practice for this type of job.
- 32.1% of the self-employed do not perceive any difficulty as self-employed. For 27.6&%, the inappropriate levels of administrative burden are the main problem.
- Most self-employed (70.9%) do not plan to employ (extra) staff or to sub-contract in the next 12 months.
 The figures are the result of an interview about self-employment that Statbel, the Belgian statistical office, has coupled to the first interview of the Labour Force Survey, a survey coordinated at European level, in 2017. 19,925 persons of 15 or older with a job have answered the survey. Extrapolated to the total population, this represents about 4,638,000 people. Most questions were addressed to persons whose professional status in the main job is self-employed. A number of questions were also asked to employees.
To what extent are you satisfied with your current job? - LFS 2017
|Job satisfaction||Professional status|
|Satisfied to a large extent||49,0%||55,0%||59,9%||49,9%|
|Satisfied to some extent||44,4%||39,5%||35,6%||43,7%|
|Satisfied to a small extent||5,3%||4,3%||2,5%||5,2%|
|Not satisfied at all||1,2%||1,0%||2,1%||1,2%|
|How the job was found||Percentage|
|direct job application||26|
|relatives, friends or acquaintances||24|
|employment agency, recruitment or selection agency||10|
|the employer himself contacted them||8|
|public employment office||6|