The European Statistics Day will be celebrated on 20th October. The theme this year is “Looking at the facts”. On the occasion of this European Statistics Day, Statbel, the Belgian statistical office, publishes the Key Figures 2019.
The publication presents the main data and evolutions in the Belgian society and economy. With some 110 statistics per year, Statbel is one the largest data producers in Belgium.
A number of results from the Key Figures:
- on 1st January 2019, Belgium had 11,431,406 inhabitants;
- in various coastal municipalities, more than 30 % of the inhabitants are 65 or over;
- the life expectancy of Belgian women is 83.7 years. That of men is 79.2 years;
- the Belgian territory consists of 30,668 km² of land and 3,454 km² of the North Sea;
- consumer prices increased by just over 2 % in 2018;
- the median price of an apartment was 182,000 euros, that of a detached house 285,000 euros;
- there were 38,455 road accidents in 2018, with a total of 49,354 casualties, including 604 fatalities;
- 69.7 % of people aged 20 to 64 were employed in 2018. More than a quarter (26.8 %) of employees work part-time;
- 16.4 % of the Belgian population lives below the poverty line.
Statbel’s public statistics support policy makers, citizens, enterprises, researchers and journalists in their decisions and research. All updates and data files are available on www.statbel.fgov.be.