Harmonised index of consumer prices - January 2020
- Belgium's inflation rate based on the European harmonised index of consumer prices (HICP) was running at 1.4 % in January compared to 0.9 % in December. Core inflation (inflation without energy and unprocessed food) stood at 1.6 % in January.
- The inflation rate based on the consumer price index (CPI) for January stood at 1.4 % compared to 0.8 % in December.
- The sub-indices with the largest upward effect on inflation were motor fuels, tobacco and rents.
- However, the sub-indices with the largest downward effect on inflation were gas, electricity and clothes.
- The harmonised index of consumer prices of January for the EU Member States will be published by Eurostat on 21st February.