Work & training
Unemployment rate at lowest level ever in the third quarter of 2018
Statbel, the Belgian statistical office, publishes today the main results of the Labour Force Survey for the third quarter of 2018:
- 70.1 % of people aged 20 to 64 are employed. This figure has never before been achieved in Belgium.
- With 50.4 %, the employment rate of people aged 55 and older is for the first time above 50 %. The growth in employment for young people is even stronger than for older age groups.
- The unemployment rate continues to decrease and is for the first time below 6 %.
- Youth unemployment decreases sharply to 16.3 %.
- The evolution of women's labour market situation is more favourable than that of men. The gap between male and female employment rate is narrowing and women's unemployment rate is falling even further below that of men.