Mission, Vision and Objectives

Table of Contents


    The mission of Statbel (DG Statistics - Statistics Belgium) consists of collecting, producing and disseminating reliable and relevant statistics on the Belgian economy, society and territory.

    The collecting is based on administrative data sources and surveys. Research is also carried out into new data sources, such as big data. Statbel produces a hundred or so statistics, 75% of which are required by European law and others in the framework of the National Accounts Institute (INR). About 60% of the statistics are compiled from administrative databases or other existing sources, for the remaining 40% surveys are used in whole or in part.

    The producing is done in a scientific, high-quality manner and the statistics are disseminated in a timely and customer-friendly manner. The latter is done via the Statbel website, the database application be.STAT and the open data portal. In addition, there are themed websites for specific projects, such as for the electronic census CENSUS 2011.

    For academic users, encrypted micro-data are made available subject to the agreement of the Privacy Commission.

    In this respect, privacy, protection of confidential data and use for purely statistical purposes are guaranteed.


    In the next few years, Statbel intends to further develop its strategy with a view to becoming the hub of the Belgian statistical landscape, providing pertinent and reliable figures to support European and Belgian socio-economic policy.

    In this respect, Statbel has the ambition, as the general management of the FPS Economy, to be a pioneer in the modernisation of work processes, organisational culture, customer-friendliness and the efficient use of people and resources.


    Based on the mission, vision, values and ambient factors within which Statbel operates, four strategic objectives have been set:

    1. Take on the role of a reliable hub within the Belgian statistical system.

    2. Disseminate relevant statistics and figures to support socio-economic policy.

    3. Continue modernising the statistical process by using new data sources, reducing response burden and administrative simplification.

    4. Provide a customer-friendly and efficient government organisation with motivated employees.

    And at the same time:

    • Comply with European obligations and the European Statistics Code of Practice;
    • Comply with the legal obligations laid down in the Statistical Law, the Privacy Act and the Cooperation Agreement of the Interfederal Institute of Statistics (IIS).

    Statistical Program

    Programme statistique 2024Statistical Program 2024 (pdf)

    Statistical Program 2023 (pdf)

    Statistical Program 2022 (French - pdf)

    Statistical Program 2021 (French - pdf)

    Statistical Program 2020 (French - pdf)

    Statistical Program 2019 (French - pdf)

    Mise en oeuvre du programme statistique 2019 de Statbel (French - pdf)

    Statistical Program 2018 (French - pdf)

    Statistical Program 2017 (French - pdf)