BDES 2020 Online Sessions 23/11/2020
We kindly invite you to the BDES 2020 Online Sessions which will be organised from Monday 23 to Monday 30 November 2020.
The BDES 2020 (Big Data for European Statistics) Online Sessions will present and discuss the results of ESSnet Big Data, a huge joint project by 28 partners from 23 European countries running until the end of 2020. These sessions are partially replacing the BDES 2020 conference originally to be held in Warsaw (PL) on 24 and 25 November 2020 which had to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. A second replacement event, the BDES 2021 conference foreseen for May 2021 in Warsaw (PL), will focus on future directions for big data and new data sources in official statistics.
ESSNet Big Data consists of 11 content workpackages; online job vacancies, enterprise characteristics, smart energy, tracking ships and an overarching one on process and architecture make up the ‘implementation’ track; the ‘pilots’ track consists of financial transaction data, earth observation, mobile network data, innovative tourism statistics and a transversal workpackage on methodology and quality; complemented by an exploratory one on smart statistics. All information about the project and its results to date can be found on
The twelve online sessions, an introductory one and one for each workpackage, run for six consecutive days from Monday 23 to Monday 30 November 2020, with a morning (10:00-12:00 CET) and an afternoon session (14:00-16:00 CET) each day. Registration, separately for each session, is free and attendance is in principle not limited.
- Introduction (Peter Struijs): Monday 23 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPF Process and architecture (Monica Scannapieco): Monday 23 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
- WPB Online job vacancies (Tomaž Špeh): Tuesday 24 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPC Enterprise characteristics (Galya Stateva): Tuesday 24 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
- WPD Smart energy (Arko Kesküla): Wednesday 25 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPE Tracking ships (Remco Paulussen): Wednesday 25 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
- WPK Methodology and quality (Alex Kowarik): Thursday 26 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPG Financial transactions data (Johan Fosen): Thursday 26 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
- WPI Mobile networks data (David Salgado): Friday 27 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPH Earth observation (Marek Morze): Friday 27 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
- WPJ Innovative tourism statistics (Marek Cierpiał-Wolan): Monday 30 November 2020, 10:00-12:00 CET
- WPL Preparing smart statistics (Natalie Rosenski): Monday 30 November 2020, 14:00-16:00 CET
Please note: all times indicated are CET (Central European Time); verify how this relates to your own time zone
You can apply for any session you wish to attend by sending the completed registration form (https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/fpfis/mwikis/essnetbigdata/images/1/1d/BDES_2020_Registration_form.doc) to email@example.com by Friday 13 November 2020 at the latest.
You will receive an acceptance confirmation as soon as possible, and about two weeks beforehand you will get a mail, one for each session you registered for, with a link to connect as a participant to that session.
For more details on the BDES 2020 sessions and registration procedure and for further practical information, please consult https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/fpfis/mwikis/essnetbigdata/index.php/BDES_2020; or, if you have a question, send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.